Go Green with Real Estate
What does it mean to be GREEN? Many consumers think of it as earth friendly. In reference to real estate, green is trying to minimize the negative environmental impact society has brought upon itself. Through better use of resources, recycling, energy efficiency and being more environmentally conscious, we can help preserve our world.
- Use CFC lightbulbs.
- Weatherstrip and caulk doors and windows.
- Buy Energy Star appliances.
- Install a tankless water heater system.
- Turn water off when brushing teeth.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucets.
- Attach barrels to gutters for rain water capture.
Interior Design Tips:
- Use low-VOC products to reduce air pollution. (What are VOCs?)
- Consider bamboo or cork flooring when remodeling.
- Use cabinets with sustainably harvested wood
- Create a backyard compost to enrich the soil naturally.
- Buy native plants to reduce water as needed.
- Use permeable pavers instead of cement walkways.
- Incorporate storm water runoff into landscape design.
More Great Green Links:
- Alliance to Save Energy
- American Solar Energy Society
- Carbon Footprint Calculators
- Energy Star
- Florida-Friendly Landscaping
- Florida Green Building Coalition
- Florida Solar Energy Center
- Green Ft Lauderdale
- Green Home Guide
- Local Harvest (Find local farmer’s markets)
- NatureScape Broward
- Organic Fantatic
- ReGreen Residential Remodeling
- Renewable Energy World
- US Department of Energy
- US Green Building Council (LEED)